Maccas and BTS light it up like Dynamite
McDonalds has launched its latest collab with Korea's BTS. Here's why it is a big step for Maccas.
What's the key learning?
- McDonald's is leveraging BTS' enormous global fanbase to driving an increase of traffic to the Maccas app
- McDonald's is essentially repackaging its existing menu items in a new meal to differentiate itself
- The BTS meal includes no new food items besides sauce, meaning no additional costs for the collab
WHY ARE MACCAS AND BTS COMING TOGETHER?
McDonald’s has launched something that fans have been waiting a long time for - its meal with K-pop sensation BTS.
Last year, Maccas launched its Famous Orders program in the US. They had meal partnerships with big celebrity names like Travis Scott and J.Balvin - both of which shot the lights out.
The BTS meal deal is being offered at McDonald's stores globally and includes chicken nuggies, chippies, Coke and Korean-style sauces ). And they've also chucked in some BTS x Maccas merchandise for good measure.
So, what is the key learning?
McDonald's is essentially repackaging its existing menu items in a new meal to differentiate itself.
With no new ingredients (except a Korean sauce), it means:
- No additional effort on their supply chain
- No complex recipes for their cooks to learn
- No food testing for the food technologists
By bringing together BTS’ existing (and huge) fan base with Maccas' existing menu items, McDonald's is generating enormous demand for its regular meals and driving an increase of traffic to its app.