Microsoft joins the $2 trill club
How did Microsoft join the likes of Apple and Saudi Aramco as a $2 Trillion company?
What's the key learning?
- Microsoft was the original tech darling - from the 1970s to the 2000s... but Microsoft actually missed a whole lot of action in the last 10 years.
- They missed out on key developments across social media (Facebook), internet search (Google) as well as mobile software and hardware (Apple and Google)
- Microsoft's recent success can be attributed to their moves in cloud, computing and A.I
MICROSOFT ARE WORTH HOW MUCH?
Microsoft, the company founded by Bill 'Billy G' Gates, has become the third public company to reach the US$2 trillion market value milestone (behind Apple and Saudi Aramco).
Microsoft’s share price has jumped 19% this year - even outperforming Apple and Amazon.
Since Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella joined in 2014, Microsoft has continued to extend its lead as the largest seller of cloud computing software on earth.
It took Microsoft 33 years from its IPO to reach its first $US1 trillion in 2019, the next $1 trillion only took around 2 years.
So, what's the key learning?
Microsoft was the original tech darling - from the 1970s to the 2000s... but Microsoft actually missed a whole lot of action in the last 10 years.
Missing out on all the action saw them drop down the pecking order:
- They missed internet search (Google)
- They missed social media (Facebook)
- They missed mobile software and app stores (Apple and Google)
Their moves in cloud, mobile computing and artificial intelligence has finally seen the company rise again to become one of the most valuable companies on the planet.